Hymer T GT, 2006 No Power to Fridge or TV?

TJC

Hi all you happy campers out there,

Just over a week ago I started the Hymie & started to run the usual checks in anticipation of getting out in the next few weeks. Then discovered NO Power to the Fridge, 240v or 12v, & No power to the TV.
As one would, checked all the fuses, all good, checked cable connections, for both items, all seemed good.

Everything else works, Boiler, Water Pump, 12 V lighting, 240v outlets, & the Step.
My Motorhome Electrician wouldn't be able to see it 'till end of August, but gave me a few pointers to check out. No Joy ☹️
Contacted Martin Bushnell in Nr. Wales, had discussion on symptoms, so to be on sure & safe side, removed the EBL100 Electroblock, & sent it to him. He serviced it, but couldn't find any issues.

I'm now totally perplexed and we can only assume some corroded earth somewhere, but no idea where that might be.

Does anyone out there have any idea's?

So you have TWO outlets/systems that are not working ... the Fridge and the TV. And all the rest is ok?
Given the age of the motorhome, it is extremely likely that circuits have been added or changed (it would be a rare beast if left as per the factory build).
Have you checked if you have power to the TV socket? I'm guessing so but you don't say for sure. Is it an original circuit as far as you can tell?

Similarly, have you checked with a meter at the back of the fridge if there is 12V present (may need engine on, may not); and same for 240V. Given these are two totally seperate circuits, it is strange both are missing - I would be more inclined to suspect the common factor - the fridge itself.
The EBLs have a dedicated fridge input for 12V from the starter battery - is that supply good? Does the D+ signal go high when you start the engine?

So you have TWO outlets/systems that are not working ... the Fridge and the TV. And all the rest is ok?
Given the age of the motorhome, it is extremely likely that circuits have been added or changed (it would be a rare beast if left as per the factory build).
Have you checked if you have power to the TV socket? I'm guessing so but you don't say for sure. Is it an original circuit as far as you can tell?

Similarly, have you checked with a meter at the back of the fridge if there is 12V present (may need engine on, may not); and same for 240V. Given these are two totally seperate circuits, it is strange both are missing - I would be more inclined to suspect the common factor - the fridge itself.
The EBLs have a dedicated fridge input for 12V from the starter battery - is that supply good? Does the D+ signal go high when you start the engine?
Hi Widebus,
Yes Fridge and TV being the only two items not working, and yes I do understand that they are both separate. No 240v or 12v at the back of the Fridge. and yes, as you say "strange both are missing" I'm getting 6.80volts (it;s like theres a trickle there) on the Amp metre at where all the connections are for the TV behind a panel in the cupboard, where the GPS Box, the Transponder and a fused point on the cables. Its not original, it appears someone possibly changed the TV Receiver Box, which is fixed below the cupboard, and yes, cables have been spliced. However, I've had the Hymer for 10 years now without any major issues. Also, everything was all OK when I parked up back in October on my paved drive, so naturally, I was quite shocked to find both were out.

My go-to Electrical Eng., who couldn't attend 'till August, gave me a few pointers first, but no joy, then believed I have a grounds issue somewhere on the system. Darren at Brownhills just gave me a Schematic, but it's in German, & whle I do understand quite a bit of it, there's no colour coding for the wiring.

So, one EBL100 Electroblock service later, and wire and fuse tracing according to my very limited knowledge Motorhome Electrics, no success so far. :-(

Hi Widebus,
Yes Fridge and TV being the only two items not working, and yes I do understand that they are both separate. No 240v or 12v at the back of the Fridge. and yes, as you say "strange both are missing" I'm getting 6.80volts (it;s like theres a trickle there) on the Amp metre at where all the connections are for the TV behind a panel in the cupboard, where the GPS Box, the Transponder and a fused point on the cables. Its not original, it appears someone possibly changed the TV Receiver Box, which is fixed below the cupboard, and yes, cables have been spliced. However, I've had the Hymer for 10 years now without any major issues. Also, everything was all OK when I parked up back in October on my paved drive, so naturally, I was quite shocked to find both were out.

My go-to Electrical Eng., who couldn't attend 'till August, gave me a few pointers first, but no joy, then believed I have a grounds issue somewhere on the system. Darren at Brownhills just gave me a Schematic, but it's in German, & whle I do understand quite a bit of it, there's no colour coding for the wiring.

So, one EBL100 Electroblock service later, and wire and fuse tracing according to my very limited knowledge Motorhome Electrics, no success so far. :-(

Hi Widebus, today is the 4th May,

I really deeply appreciate your response to help, but couldn't really give you any definite anwers 'till now. You previously asked "Have you checked if you have power to the TV socket? I'm guessing so but you don't say for sure. Answer, Yes, There's a 240v Outlet in the TV Cupboard with nothing plugged in, and there's the 12v outlet with a jack plug plugged in, but NO POWER. Is it an original circuit as far as you can tell? Answer Yes! The Jack Plug is feeding the GPS Box and the Modulator etc., but no power.

You also asked "Similarly, have you checked with a meter at the back of the fridge if there is 12V present (may need engine on, may not); Answer, NO 12V on any point at the rear lower end rear of the Fridge.

"and same for 240V? Answer, YES, BUT, only in the mains junction box.

"Given these are two totally seperate circuits, it is strange both are missing" I totally agree! - as you say "I would be more inclined to suspect the common factor - the fridge itself. My findings since I last posted a response to you, Martin Bushnell, the EBL Engineer, said that he also is puzzlwd, so, he advised me to check ALL the fuses once again, especially the one on the Engine Starter Battery, which on the '06 Ducatto chassis, is almost impossible to see or get to without removing the battery, BUT I did manage & found the 3 Fuses, 50A 3A & 20A. tHE 20A which is the Red wire to feeding to the left rear port connection on the EBL100, The fuse was fried, i.e., the plastic carrier was completely melted & one side spade connector blackened. Got it with some difficulty, cleaned as best I could the Spring receivers and had to go get some new 20A fuses. With some trepidation, I inserted the new fuse, & no dramas. But still... NO FRIDGE or TV. Then at MartIn's request, ran some voltage tests,
Engine Battery stationary
Engine Battery Running
Engine Battery All lights on
Red wire L/H side of EBL
Black Wire R/H side, engine running & stopped, all reading in ranges I was happy with, but Martin not so happy, as he thinks there's a wiring problem somewhere. He also said "That if the Engine is Started with EHup, that it can blow the 20 A fuse, as that is the line through which the EBL Charges the starter battery.

So yesterday, I succeeded in un-fastening the Fidge Eyebrow, but I can't get to any of the connections going into the rear of the controls module.
I eventual;ly was given a connection to a Dometic Service Eng., whom I will be able to speak to on Tuesday.

PS. There is a fuse at the rear of the Fridge Compartment, that feeds to SAT TV Dish, It blew about 10 years ago, which at the time took a lot asking before I got the answer from a Motorhome Electrician. A very strange place sfor the SAT TV dish to be fed through, but what I dont know is, that the line that feeds the whole TV System?

Regards & Thanks
Tim

Back