Returning to 3D Printing ...

wildebus

As mentioned before, I had a 3D printer around 6 years ago. It was from what I recall a Prusa clone and arrived in flatpack form for the buyer to build.
Built it up and had it working and was ok, but never really got that great results. Was it me? was it the model files? was it the printer? was it the construction? could be any or a combination of some or all of those, but generally speaking I could make prints sucessfully but the quality was not really there :( A bit like expecting to get HD quality but getting a 405 line output (for those who recall 405 line TV ;) )
When a piece of the printer broke, stopping it working, I put it aside and then a couple of years ago decided to sell it for spares/repairs to just get it out the way.
Fast Forward 6 years and I needed a way to get small storage containers to suit and work with my tool and parts storage system and looking at options, 3D Printed parts seemed to be the way to go. I could have bought printed parts of eBay from enthusiasts, and Steve on the forum offered to make me some at essentially cost price, which was very kind of him, but I decided after some thinking to try doing my own printing again...
And how times have changed!

I bought a little desktop 3D Printer called Tina (actually 'Tina2 S') that arrived fully ready to use, took up far less space than the old printer and had the oh-so-important bonus of a self-levelling base (something not had the luxury of before). This is the Printer I bought - https://amzn.to/3UEPy3v

Now there are two limitations which may put others off this ....
1) Upgradablilty. From what I have seen from youtube videos, changing and upgrading parts of 3D printers is all part of the hobby? TBH, I don't really want to bother with that but I appreciate others may.
2) Print Bed size. The Tina only has a print bed of 100mm x 110mm and a max height of around 120mm, which certainly is a real limitation of what you can print. I considered this before purchasing and for what I wanted to print right now, and what I have printed in the past, everything would fit in that space, so I was happy to accept that given the other benefits Tina would give me.

From unboxing Tina to starting the first print was maybe 30 minutes and the first print (the "Benchy" boat model test) came out very well and quality wise was better than any print I had made on the old 3D printer!

Went to start making an insert (shoutout again to Steve & Tommy to editing one of the files to adjust a divider height parameter tomake it better for my purpose), and then using the Wiibuilder program supplied with the printer to adjust the proportions, made a selection to suit the bins these were going into ....

Bin Inserts by David, on Flickr

How they fit into the original Bins (which are from Stanley/Dewalt organisers)

Inserts Fitted by David, on Flickr

As I made these, I tweaked the dimensions. The initial one was to drop into a shallow bin. I adjusted the heights so I could use them in the tall bins and also halved the height so I could double-up on the shallow bins - allowing upto 8 separated compartments in a Stanley bin supplied with just one space! Great for the tiny bits and pieces used in electrics and electronics.

I also stretched the design in all directions so it could take the place of an actual Bin, or rather a half-Bin more accurately to fill a space where there is no original one supplied (idea is to use this where I am mixing storing parts and tools in the same box).
The original bin is on the left and the 3D-printer one is on the right.

Half-Container by David, on Flickr

Overall, I am very impressed with the quality and consistency of the prints from Tina. I have only had a few failures - and they were interestingly ALL using one specific filament - PLA like all the rest and the same spec. Changing back to a different filament got everything back on track, so that filament went back for a refund (y)

I don't really need these inserts to look as good as these as they are made to be functional and not to look at, so they are actually a great item to try out different settings to learn how to get the best results and how changes affect the output as even if a setting makes something worse, I can still use the result :)

Last edited:
Wish I had looked at 3D printers when they came out but then I was too busy with work.

Now plenty of time but a lot older so it will be harder to start now unless there is an idiot proof 3D printer about .

Then the next thing would be what should I make ..

Well at this time there is nothing I can think of that I can’t buy ..

Wish I had looked at 3D printers when they came out but then I was too busy with work.

Now plenty of time but a lot older so it will be harder to start now unless there is an idiot proof 3D printer about .
You know, the Tina 3D Printer I have probably classifies as near to idiot-proof as you can get :) I have only had it for around a week but I am super-impressed with it. And it is so portable as well you could easily take it in a motorhome with you.

This is my setup ....

Tina
by David, on Flickr

The Tina has a filament holder but - and this I guess could be another limitation worth mentioning - it can only take filament spools of upto 500g (most are 1Kg). You can print a larger holder and fit that to easily address that limit, but I like how the provided one hinges out the way for portability, so instead I am using a turntable I already have (used for model making) and just happened to be the ideal size to drop a spool onto.

Then the next thing would be what should I make ..

Well at this time there is nothing I can think of that I can’t buy ..

Not be long before someone prints a campervan shell. 😂
Well they can print a bungalow saw one on the news yesterday.

Sounds like the birth of a new make Like the Legowagon

I wish you hadn't shown a pic of it with a Cricut in the background. Now I'm going to be looking at my Cricut and thinking it must be lonely without a 3D printer to cwtch up to.😻

I wish you hadn't shown a pic of it with a Cricut in the background. Now I'm going to be looking at my Cricut and thinking it must be lonely without a 3D printer to cwtch up to.😻
well, if you really want to catch up to the menage a trois, don't forget the little laser etcher cube just about out of shot on the right :D

PS. Ref the TINA, I would recommend NOT to get the cheaper 'Upgraded TINA2' with the gray top and base - it is rather noisy, at least in comparision with the TINA 2S with the WiFi feature (the model with the orange top and base).

3D printing has changed a lot in the last 6 years.

I started off with the TINA 2 and was a great tool to learn on. As Wildebus pointed out, a limit to printing out in size, unless you're printing something that fits together !

Very pleased with my Bambu Labs P1S. Only draw-back is, large prints take 30+ hours. On a positive, I can use more than 30 different colours on a print. I've never run out of ideas to design and print.

3D printing has changed a lot in the last 6 years.

I started off with the TINA 2 and was a great tool to learn on. As Wildebus pointed out, a limit to printing out in size, unless you're printing something that fits together !

Very pleased with my Bambu Labs P1S. Only draw-back is, large prints take 30+ hours.
This is where I used to get very frustrated with my original 3D Printer... a few times I would take advantage of the larger bed and print off multiple examples of the same model as there was room. And if (and became usually 'when') it crapped out after a few hours, it was such a waste of time and filament.
I would be quite nervous of 30+ hour printouts unless I had great faith in the printer :)
The TINA 2 is proving very good. I am probably running it more than it is designed for right now (it must have been printing for over 50% of the time since it arrived I think? thought may as well really test it while it is still in the Amazon return window :) )

On a positive, I can use more than 30 different colours on a print.
It auto-switches the colours and does the purge etc all automatically as per what the gcode tells it? that's smart :)

From what I have seen, the Bambu Labs printers seem to be the 'one to have' now?

I've never run out of ideas to design and print.

I suggest one would be very handy for replacing damaged motorhome odds Eg fridge clips cupboard catches and the like.
Many such items are silly prices or not to be found.
Lots of other household items as well !

even though I have read many articles about. 3D printers I just can’t seem to understand it.

If I had one I would have to buy all the files. .

Back