Continental tyres

Biggarmac

Rally Organiser

Has anyone used Continential Camper tyres? Anything good or bad? The garage has suggested them as replacments for my motorhome.

I use Continental CP tyres and have no complaints. There is a bonus that Continental are proactive and give pressure v load charts for their tyres and have a good customer service department.

Here you go meg. There are a number of tyre tests that have been done specifically with motorhomes and Continental consistently come out on top. They always have dramatically shorter braking distances than all the other products and they are often praised on their stability.
which Tyres

I recently did an article on the importance of checking your motorhome tyres before the holidays which can be seen here: But what should you do if they need changing? Which tyre should you buy for your motorhome? Let’s investigate!
If your vehicle was bought new then there is a good chance that it was supplied with a specific camping tyre. Continental, Michelin & Pirelli all make these camper specific products although Michelin & Continental are certainly the most common. If you take a look at your current tyres and you may see wrote on the sidewall; Continental Vanco Camper, Michelin Agilis Camping or XC Camping – these are all ‘proper’ motorhome tyres.
So what are camping tyres?
These tyres are designed specifically for use on motorhomes, the main difference is that they have tougher sidewalls. This toughness helps in 2 ways, firstly they are more suitable to run at higher pressures that are required for motorhomes, and secondly the rigidity reduces tyre movement and stops the vehicle from swaying around, particularly whilst cornering. There are also subtle differences in the tread compound which gives the tyres improved grip on wet surfaces and some differences in construction that make the tyre more resistant to abrasions & impacts.
Can I use normal van tyres?
Absolutely, it is still legal and safe to use regular van tyres as long as the load rating is high enough to carry the weight of the vehicle. By using a standard van tyre you will of course not benefit from the features detailed above. The main reason people fit standard van tyres is because of the cost implications of fitting motorhome tyres. The camper equivalent tends to be about 15% more which can equate to upwards of £60 a set. Personally I think the cost is justified and worth the additional cost.
Which brand?
As mentioned Continental & Michelin are the most common motorhome tyres fitted by manufacturers. Michelin tend to be the more expensive of the two and many purchasers have an idea that they are the best manufacturer. Well when it comes to camper tyres this doesn’t appear to be the case! There are a number of tyre tests that have been done specifically with motorhomes and Continental consistently come out on top. They always have dramatically shorter braking distances than all the other products and they are often praised on their stability.
A note on availability
When it comes to changing your tyres I would also advise starting to investigate the process long before any trips away. During peak times of the year (April, May) some camper tyres can become scarce so please allow plenty of time. If you can’t see what you need online give a reputable dealer a call to check expected dates for you.
Happy camping
Have a look at Tyremen’s great winter tyres packages. Or ring 0845 807 808 for more info.

Max pressure note – Feb 14
Off the back of a few comments about max pressures on the Vanco Camper tyre I thought it would be useful to clarify that the 215/70R15 tyre can be inflated to 80psi when using on motorhomes. There is a confusing message on the side wall that states max pressure 69psi but this is just intended for regular commercial use. The following graphic can also be found on the side of the tyre which demonstrates that then when using on a motorhome this max pressure can be rai
sed to 5.5 bar, which is equal to 80psi – I hope this helps.
max pressure on camper tyres

Thanks for that Wully. I suspect that the report is the one my garage man read!

How about Michelin Crossclimate tyres , supposed to be very good on wet grass and now come in commercial sizes with the advantage of winter rating

Here you go meg. There are a number of tyre tests that have been done specifically with motorhomes and Continental consistently come out on top. They always have dramatically shorter braking distances than all the other products and they are often praised on their stability.
which Tyres

I recently did an article on the importance of checking your motorhome tyres before the holidays which can be seen here: But what should you do if they need changing? Which tyre should you buy for your motorhome? Let’s investigate!
If your vehicle was bought new then there is a good chance that it was supplied with a specific camping tyre. Continental, Michelin & Pirelli all make these camper specific products although Michelin & Continental are certainly the most common. If you take a look at your current tyres and you may see wrote on the sidewall; Continental Vanco Camper, Michelin Agilis Camping or XC Camping – these are all ‘proper’ motorhome tyres.
So what are camping tyres?
These tyres are designed specifically for use on motorhomes, the main difference is that they have tougher sidewalls. This toughness helps in 2 ways, firstly they are more suitable to run at higher pressures that are required for motorhomes, and secondly the rigidity reduces tyre movement and stops the vehicle from swaying around, particularly whilst cornering. There are also subtle differences in the tread compound which gives the tyres improved grip on wet surfaces and some differences in construction that make the tyre more resistant to abrasions & impacts.
Can I use normal van tyres?
Absolutely, it is still legal and safe to use regular van tyres as long as the load rating is high enough to carry the weight of the vehicle. By using a standard van tyre you will of course not benefit from the features detailed above. The main reason people fit standard van tyres is because of the cost implications of fitting motorhome tyres. The camper equivalent tends to be about 15% more which can equate to upwards of £60 a set. Personally I think the cost is justified and worth the additional cost.
Which brand?
As mentioned Continental & Michelin are the most common motorhome tyres fitted by manufacturers. Michelin tend to be the more expensive of the two and many purchasers have an idea that they are the best manufacturer. Well when it comes to camper tyres this doesn’t appear to be the case! There are a number of tyre tests that have been done specifically with motorhomes and Continental consistently come out on top. They always have dramatically shorter braking distances than all the other products and they are often praised on their stability.
A note on availability
When it comes to changing your tyres I would also advise starting to investigate the process long before any trips away. During peak times of the year (April, May) some camper tyres can become scarce so please allow plenty of time. If you can’t see what you need online give a reputable dealer a call to check expected dates for you.
Happy camping
Have a look at Tyremen’s great winter tyres packages. Or ring 0845 807 808 for more info.

Max pressure note – Feb 14
Off the back of a few comments about max pressures on the Vanco Camper tyre I thought it would be useful to clarify that the 215/70R15 tyre can be inflated to 80psi when using on motorhomes. There is a confusing message on the side wall that states max pressure 69psi but this is just intended for regular commercial use. The following graphic can also be found on the side of the tyre which demonstrates that then when using on a motorhome this max pressure can be rai
sed to 5.5 bar, which is equal to 80psi – I hope this helps.
max pressure on camper tyres
Wot he said 😬

How about Michelin Crossclimate tyres , supposed to be very good on wet grass and now come in commercial sizes with the advantage of winter rating
Not sure about them being available in camper mode. Ordinary van tyres don't have the same side wall rating.

BF Goodrich seems to be the flavour of the month.
No, I can’t understand why either, 🤔

Arrgh !
Why do you need a “Camper “ tyre ?

Use a commercial tyre with the correct load rating and nos of ply and you will be fine

“camper” tyres are NOT available in the size I need for my Sprinter Or the IVECO I had previously and that accounts for the last 17 years of ownership prior to that I had several Ducatos that were equipped with OEM Camper tyres

they have only been produced for the Ducato sizes as far as I am aware andyou have to pay a premium to buy them

Had BF Goodrich on my Shogun when I was a tugger. Great tyres for off road. Pulled lots of units (mainly motorhomes) out of muddy fields. They are a bit chunkier than I need for the M/H as most of my travels are on the continent using aires and sites.

BF Goodrich seems to be the flavour of the month.
No, I can’t understand why either, 🤔

Well, as far as the AT’s are concerned, pretty close to the perfect all round use tyre.
60000 + miles easily. 3 peaks rated. Great traction in snow. Can be taken down to 1bar safely when need be, plenty of pro’s, very few con’s.

I have Michelin Agilis Camping on my Chausson and well pleased with them. Even more pleased that I got all four via Bailey outlet shop ready balanced with metal valves on new rims for £200. (they fit alloys to their MHs so sell the originals that come on the chassis cabs for cheap price)

Thank you @Wully very detailed information, I got really confused with those tyres when I first had the van. After 12 months and some long journeys they seem just fine.

I run Conti Four Seasons on my van, ride is great and no complaints at all. This set has been on over a year now and been good in all weather conditions

I put Conti's on my last MH. No complaints at all; no difference to the Michelin's they replaced other than they were cheaper.

I would have no hesitation in using Continental's again

Graham
smile.gif

When I google Michelin Aglis camping versus continental vanco camper the only test result that comes up is this,

There does not appear to be much difference in them. Some aspects are better on one brand and other measurements seem to favour the alternative tyre brand.

Davy

Michelin Aglis are M+S rated so if your travelling to the continent after 1st November to the 31st March they will cover most requirments for snow tyres at the moment...I think some countries are upping the spec. needed to the 3 Peaks symbol but there are a few years before the changeover if you already have M+S tyres.

Isn’t it tyres produced after 2017 that require the 3 peaks symbol and before that M&S is okay?

Reactions: Bri

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back