Flicking dials.

Salty

Free Member

Hi,
Today without any keys in ignition I noticed the dials were flicking and I could hear a clicking noise every few seconds or so.
When I put the key in and turn one notch it stops.
My engine won't start and doors have to be unlocked with the key, alarm won't work either.
Any ideas ?
Mick.

Thanks, but what I would like to find out is why. I returned from a trip last Friday with an hours drive. I then hook up at home and have a trickle charger fitted to battery.
Vehicle is only 7 years old.
Mick

Iv seen a bad earth do that, its no easy fix, so its a work around testing everything, could be a faulty alarm a relay dieing or a diode in the altanator switching and on its way out, me id start with earth and work through, you could be days or more on this one.
Seen this once on a car with electric windows when a switch went belly up, you sometimes here a clicking.

tell us what van it is 7 yrs battery could be past its best. First thing I'd try would be with everything turned off disconnect battery negative lead wait a few minutes then connect it up again if it don't fix it try it again it usually resets the system

Last edited:
Peugeot Boxer 2017.
I have removed the battery which had a Dec 2018 stamp on it and replaced with a new one.
Thanks.

We broke down with similar dead battery, breakdown guy put boost on battery for a few mins, started straight away, drove to europarts and purchased new battery luckily found one open before I stalled it and got stuck again, I fitted the new battery at the shop and did notice the positive terminal was loose, all OK since with new battery, got old battery checked out as it was only 2 years old with a 4 year guarantee and and was told by halfords with the free battery check that it was fine.
So think it may have been a loose connection thar caused the breakdown, now stuck with an extra battery!

We broke down with similar dead battery, breakdown guy put boost on battery for a few mins, started straight away, drove to europarts and purchased new battery luckily found one open before I stalled it and got stuck again, I fitted the new battery at the shop and did notice the positive terminal was loose, all OK since with new battery, got old battery checked out as it was only 2 years old with a 4 year guarantee and and was told by halfords with the free battery check that it was fine.
So think it may have been a loose connection thar caused the breakdown, now stuck with an extra battery!
Been there had the T shirt, you can use the second battery connected to the less batts, do use a smart charger on it once every few week if not connected to hab battery

So, my drama continues. I fitted new battery and all appears fine. Took old battery back to shop where they tested it and confirmed it was so flat in didn't register on the machine but they have now charged it and it is nearly as good as new. I am now wondering if I have an alternator issue but surely if I did my battery warning light would have come on ?

Back