New legs for an old moho

Sonar

The AMPLO hydraulic self levelling system.

I was due to have the system fitted on a number of dates recently however I had to cancel a number of times because of other commitments however today the system is being fitted at Jacques near York.

It’s going to be a one-day install so will be completed today before 5:30 pm today .

Because of the age of our old motorhome it was not a standard installation kit apparently it was a special order kit.

This was also confirmed by another company that said it would be a special order..

Anyway, at this time I am at Jacques in York while it is being fitted ..

Sat at the moment in their courtesy car.

IMG_0431.jpegIMG_0432.jpegIMG_0433.jpeg

What age is your van and if you don't mind what sort of cost for the levelling system ?

Have you considered the effect it will have on your payload?

So far as I recall having owned motorhomes for the last 50 years, the issue of payloads, MGW and so on is only a relatively recent thing. It doesn't apply to old motorhomes. :ROFLMAO:
I wonder sometimes if it actually did used to exist in The Olden Days, but has only become significant with the addition of all this fresh-air-out-of-the-exhaust stuff, air conditioners (39kg) hydraulic self levelling systems (89kg), microwaves (too heavy to lift and chuck out of your van), EU and UK Gov regulations about how people who are a) young enough to be at work and at the same time b) incapable of driving anything over 3500kg.
In The Olden Days if you remember, we used to drive weedy 1900cc diesel-without-turbo chuggers, probably as big as a modern wife's shopping car so the weight was never a concern.

Fully loaded my Hymer is 4230kg, has a smaller engine, 2.0 compared to my Burstner 2.3, is 500kg heavier and yet is more fuel efficient. Far better brakes and suspension and with the driver controls is much safer.

What age is your van and if you don't mind what sort of cost for the levelling system ?
It’s a 2003 Fiat Ducato Swift Sundance 600 B

So far from new . It needed a special kit due to its age. The front rams fittied. But the rear ones had special brackets
There’s still made but a special order. So the all in price was £5500.
Expensive for an old Moho but for us it’s worth it ..

Have you considered the effect it will have on your payload?
I had the van uprated two years ago from 3400kg. To ;3500kg

When the van was fully loaded two hab battery’s solar panels Full fuel tank. Full 100 ltr water tanks tools spare 5 gallons of fuel awning
Clothes and supplies for 3 weeks it was still under3400. Still have the weighbridge ticket somewhere.

But will be filling everything up again for another three weeks soon so will have a weigh in .
But do not expect to hit 3500 kg

It’s a 2003 Fiat Ducato Swift Sundance 600 B

There’s still made but a special order. So the all in price was £5500.
That's not bad. I was looking recently and the average price for a standard kit fitted with no 'special brackets' was about £8k.
I have them on my Bourton, they are excellent. Specially if you have a Princess who can detect a pea through hundred mattresses. Let alone a 0.5 degree tilt off-level. I will refrain from saying how many mattress toppers, blankets, spirit levels and so on I have to carry for her.

But she's worth it 🥰

We normally don't fit them, us Yorkshire folk.
Think of the increased drag factor.
And the extra fuel consumption.
I'll tell that Greta Thunderbucket about you.

We haven't heard a lot from her lately have we? Has she gone off and bought a diesel Range Rover and a house in Miami perhaps?

We normally don't fit them, us Yorkshire folk.
Think of the increased drag factor.
And the extra fuel consumption.
I'll tell that Greta Thunderbucket about you.
She said to fit them as she needs to keep a level head .
Because she is in and out of court so much she needs to know what’s up and down.

Do they supply and fit new legs for crochety old MH drivers.
No. It’s an NHS service type of leg. Your be wanting.
However I guess your never ever get any as you have to make an appointment to see a doctor first.

So far as I recall having owned motorhomes for the last 50 years, the issue of payloads, MGW and so on is only a relatively recent thing. It doesn't apply to old motorhomes. :ROFLMAO:
I wonder sometimes if it actually did used to exist in The Olden Days, but has only become significant with the addition of all this fresh-air-out-of-the-exhaust stuff, air conditioners (39kg) hydraulic self levelling systems (89kg), microwaves (too heavy to lift and chuck out of your van), EU and UK Gov regulations about how people who are a) young enough to be at work and at the same time b) incapable of driving anything over 3500kg.
In The Olden Days if you remember, we used to drive weedy 1900cc diesel-without-turbo chuggers, probably as big as a modern wife's shopping car so the weight was never a concern.
It applies to anything that has a VIN plate!

https://spinner28.wixsite.com/tonys-towing-trivia/post/weights-vin-plates

We have ramps, but can't remember when we last used them! Certainly not worth many thousands of pounds for us. I paid around £40 for the ramps and £1 for a bi-level. And I am thinking that was a waste of money!

The added 65 kg is a factor that has to be allowed for when they are fitted.

My iveco (in my Avatar) came with E&P levellers already installed in fact it was a significant reason for buying the van I effectively bought what the levellers would have cost to install and got the van free!

They’ve been on the van since 2009 and work perfectly no pitting on the rams or leaks etc
The hydraulic lines are very neatly installed a couple have some signs of surface rust.
I also think it’s due an oil change as I doubt it’s been done over the last few years
They are linked to the air suspension so it kneels if required.
They can raise each wheel high enough to change a tyre
I can get the van 100% level so really useful whilst building the interior.

Marvellous gadget!

The added 65 kg is a factor that has to be allowed for when they are fitted.
Mine were 85kg. I guess the electric ones are lighter than the hydraulic ones.

Back